Friday, September 9, 2011

Oil Cloth Versus Laminated Cotton

I have been making lunch bags and wraps all week.  It was brought to my attention that oil cloth is bad and you do not want it anywhere near your kids or their food.  I thought that was what I was using for my lunch bags.  The bags my kids have been eating out of all week!  I freaked out when I heard this!  Then I looked up the brand of my "oil cloth" which is Moda and found it is NOT oil cloth.  It is laminated cotton.  So what is the difference?  Laminated cotton coating does not contain Phthalates and they are not made with vinyl or PVC (polyvinyl chloride).  So they are food safe!  What relief!  Oil cloth does contain all those chemicals and is not meant to be eaten off of.  So the awesome bags I have been talking about and making are safe to store food in, do not leak, keep bread fresh, and are kid friendly. 

3 comments:

  1. So is it just Moda laminated cotton or all? I am curious before I buy the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. Moda isn't the only one that makes laminated cotton fabric. You can find all different styles and brands of this type of material. Fabric.com also has many styles to choose from. I hope this helps.

      Sarah

      http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=laminated+cotton+fabric&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete