Monday, July 30, 2012

Prayer Quilts



I have been so busy since my son's birthday.  The night of his birthday I found out, thanks to facebook, that a friend of mine, Judy, and her family were in a serious accident that morning.  At 6am their whole house blew up and threw all of them out of it.  Their 14 year old daughter did not survive, their 18 year old was severely burned and my friend was seriously injured.  I had to read the news article 3 times before I could even understand it! My heart has been hurting for them ever since.  I have been meditating on God's word and trying to understand that he works all things for good to those who love and trust Him. I know this family loves and trusts God.  I know He will somehow bring good out of these ashes too.  I just don't understand it right now.


After I realized that they had lost everything, their daughter, house and pets, I really wanted to do something to help them.  So I went straight to work on a quilt! I love to pray while I quilt and sew.  It really relaxes my spirit and mind.  I don't listen to music, just pray and think. Back when my son was 2 years old my friend, Judy, had given me all of her son's clothes.  He is 2 years older than Brian and she had bags of clothes to give.  I was so thankful for all of those clothes.  I didn't have to buy Brian anything for years because of her giving.  So while I sewed away I thought about our friendship, her kids, what happened, prayed for comfort for their family.  I hope this quilt somehow brings comfort to her.  Only God can give her the comfort she needs, but quilts can wrap around you and help a little.

This quilt pattern is from Schnibbles Times Two pattern book.  I really love this quilting book and how it is helping me to use up my scraps!



Now I just need to go find some nice backing, batting and quilt it.




Before I went to work on Judy's quilt I had started an embroidery project on this one.  I finally finished embroidering all of the cream rectangles.  I found some beautiful flowers from an embroidery kit at the quilt store.  I love how elegant this one turned out.  I think it is going to be a lap quilt for me that stays on our bed away from the kids.





It is a little lumpy because I hadn't taken the embroidery backing paper off yet.  






No comments:

Post a Comment