Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Pokemon Card Wallet


My son, Brian, is going to be 8 in one month.  Kylie begged me to help her make her brother his birthday gift.  She really wants to make him a Pokemon card holder.  Brian is really into Pokemon cards right now and that is all he wants for his birthday.  When he asked for just Pokemon cards I thought this was great and would make for an inexpensive birthday.  But turns out Pokemon cards are expensive now!  The packs he want are about 20 dollars!  I know that isn't much, but to me, for a bunch of cards, it is seriously too much.  But he will be getting a couple packs to add to his collection.  And Kylie is going to make him a wallet to hold them all in.   

Kylie's Sewing Project #3: 

Day 1

First we have to make a pattern.  She took a playing card out and traced it on paper and then measured it.  This is a great a project because it is teaching math and measurement!




Her first 3 was backwards.  

Here is what we came up with.  She did the math in her head and on her fingers, but I wrote the numbers down and drew it out for her.  Tomorrow we will cut it out.


Day 2: Cutting Out the Fabric

This time I cut the fabric out for her.  She helped find the numbers when we measured, but I wanted the sides to all be straight.  We also used black felt for the pockets.  The pockets were going to be 3 1/2 x 4 1/2, but since we used felt we didn't have to make a seam allowance.  So the felt pockets were cut out to be 3 1/2 x 4.

CUT OUT:

cut 2 pieces of fabric- 11.5 x 6.5cut out 2 pieces of felt-  3.5 x 4 (for pockets)
cut out 1 fusible fleece- 11.5 x 6.5
cut out 2 inches of velcro




Day 3:  Sewing Time


Iron the fabric and iron on the fusible fleece to one of the main fabric pieces.  Then put fabric together right sides facing and the fleece side up.  Pin in place.  Then sew together leaving an opening for turning.  I let Kylie do this part by herself.  She even threaded the needle by herself.  



Here it is after Kylie sewed it and then turned it right sides out.  Make sure you trim the corners and really push them out.  Then pin the opening together.  I did the rest of the sewing for her.  I didn't think her needle would be able to handle all the bulk.  This is a good little machine for small tasks only. So after she turned it I sewed around the edge making sure the opening was secured.


Next put the pockets in place and sew up the sides and bottom.

Then pin the velcro on and sew those down too.

Then fold it up and sew up the edges.  You are done!  Super easy and I know Brian is going to love his new Pokemon Card wallet. 





I linked this project to


1 comment:

  1. Those pokemon cards I have collected on Pikazon.nl - a very reputable card store that specializes in the collection and trading of all things pikachu!

    ReplyDelete